Monday, December 17, 2012

Gibraltar - Sort of


Gibraltar is a British colony, located at the southern edge of the Iberian Peninsula, bordering Andalucía, the region of Spain that I live in.

I have been talking about visiting Gibraltar since before I even came to Spain. It’s only place in the world where you can see the Mediterranean Sea and Atlantic ocean meet, as well as the panoramic views of two continents at the same time. There is also a large colony of apes that inhabit the “Rock of Gibraltar,” that I have been dying to take a picture with. As an added bonus, Gibraltar is also known for duty-free shopping.

After a cancelled trip a few months ago, I accepted an invitation to go to Gibraltar with my co-worker Alicia. Long story short, I heard the monkeys are prone to stealing valuables from tourists, therefore I didn’t bring my passport, knowing that I wouldn't be able to go on my winter break trip next week if anything were to happen to it. I showed my New York State drivers license at customs and was inevitably denied entry.

I told Alicia to go ahead without me; we had driven almost 3 hours to get there after all. I spent the day walking around the Spanish town La Linea, and ate a deliciously juicy tostada con tomate’, that dribbled all down my chin; good thing I was dining alone.

Overall I made the best of the day. From a distance, I saw the “Rock of Prudential” the Strait of Gibraltar , and the contour of Africa through the fog. Most importantly I took the leap and went by myself on a full day excursion speaking only in Spanish. I learned the words to traditional flamenco music in the car,  and went shopping on the way home in Jerez de la Frontera, a province of Cádiz.



No comments:

Post a Comment