Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Hump

According to a few articles I have come across about living abroad, there is a bell curve of psychological phases that you go through while living abroad.

From what I can tell the “hump effect” is indeed real and unavoidable. Based on my calculations I have been in Spain for exactly 3 months and 6 days. The honeymoon phase has passed, and I am slowly moving uphill towards the top of “the hump.”


I found an apartment, made some friends, started work, joined a gym and have found a good balance of keeping in contact with everyone in the States.


Now I am in the adaptation phase, which brings me to an update on how things are going at school. Finally, I have a routine. My anxiety about missing the bus, and making it to school on time have ceased. I have researched all my options and routes to Tomares so in an scenario, including a rainy morning I will make it to work.

Everyday I wake up at 8:20am. I hop on a bike at the rental station right outside my house (and pray that the gears work, since usually they are stuck in the highest gear.) I ride 20 minutes until I reach Plaza de Armas, the bus station. Usually disheveled from biking so quickly, I try to quickly recompose myself before getting on the bus for my 20 minute ride.
Sevici- the bikes I use to go all around town
Recently I have been bumping into my school headmaster on the bus. Strangely she pretends not to recognize me until we get off at the same stop and acts surprised to see me every time.

At school everyday has proven to be completely different. I have 14 different classes that I rotate through Monday- Thursday and every teacher instructs class differently.

After two full months of teaching I feel comfortable and confident. I have no reason to panic about anything, the Spaniards don’t, so why should I? I have gotten into the swing of lesson planning and private tutoring on the side, but learning to disciple my students is still a work in progress.

Along with being in mid-adaptation stage, I find myself easily bothered by small things. Looking back now, I cant help but to laugh about what I have been complaining about. Here is a small taste of what I have learned to adapt to while living in Sevilla.

 “You know you are in Spain when…”



  1. When EVERYTHING is closed at 2 in the afternoon for siesta

2.  When you finally stop resenting everything being closed for siesta.

  1. When you feel like your English gets worse as your Spanish improves (you may also find yourself speaking in British English.)
  2. When you forget how to say something you learned just 30 seconds ago.
  3. When red wine only costs .99 cents and still tastes like a 10Euro bottle.
  4. When all the food that is unhealthy is labeled “digestive” so you don’t feel bad about eating a few portions of cookies everyday.
  5. When the sun finally comes out after 5 days of rain and you are overjoyed because you can finally dry your laundry.
  6. When you complain about only having a 3-day weekend.
  7. When a 3 hour work day is exhausting (but really it is! Between commuting, and switching between Spanish and English every few minutes you get tired easily. Also deciphering the thick Anadulucian accent is an immediate prescription for a headache.)
  8. When stopping at a red light is more of a suggestion, rather than the law.
  9. When there is only one cashier, taking her sweet time at the grocery store to check you out (as a veteran cashier, who has won prizes at Wegmans for achieving the highest items per minute, you can imagine how angry this makes me.)
  10. When it rains and the Spaniards have no sense of umbrella etiquette or personal space. (Seriously I’ve almost lost an eye.)
  11. When you finally remember to always carry toilet paper with you everywhere. Due to the economic crisis bathrooms are never going to have TP, even at school.
  12. When you wear  mittens, a scarf, a hat, and your northface in the house, but once you step outside you realize its warmer than inside your house.
  13. When you walk into Starbucks and are surrounded by Americans in Northfaces, using Apple products, me included.



No comments:

Post a Comment