Sunday, November 25, 2012

Dia de Acción de Gracias


These past few days have been a whirlwind. I have been teaching about Thanksgiving (Dia de acción de gracias,) and cooking up a storm, for not one, but two Thanksgiving dinners.

I have to admit it was difficult to get into the Thanksgiving spirit this year being so far away from home. I know I shouldn’t complain about the 70-degree weather, but without the changing fall leaves, a trip to the Cidermill, and missing ugg boot season entirely, I have been in a bit of a funk recently.

On Friday night my roommates and I went to a thanksgiving potluck dinner with other CIEE teach in Spain participants. Then on Saturday, we prepared a feast for about 20 Spaniards in our piso. I made butternut squash soup and after a long tiring search for cheddar cheese, I whipped up multiple trays of macaroni and cheese.

Cooking this amount of food was no easy feat. First of all, we can’t figure out how to use our oven, it’s a guessing game in which the oven usually wins. My chocolate cake I baked a few weeks back was it's first casualty. We also lack measuring cups, the correct cooking utensils, a dishwasher and a garbage disposable at out convince. No matter, I still love any opportunity to cook; I had great company, and some new country music to listen to in the kitchen.

I am happy to report that Thanksgiving was just what I needed, two nights in a row of eating, drinking, talking with our mouths full, and getting in some good laughs has lifted my fussy mood, hopefully once and for all.

Although I am not with from family and friends this year, I think that the far distance away during the holiday season has renewed my appreciation for living abroad and has helped me recognize what I am grateful for, even more than usual.

So on that note I wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving, and for those of you back in the in Vestal right now, eat an extra slice of pumpkin pie for me!

Turkey hands we made in class
Roommates at Thanksgiving dinner #2

No comments:

Post a Comment