Sunday, November 25, 2012

Fútbol

There is very little that I know about fútbol (soccer.) I have played basketball my whole life, and the only team that I follow regularly is Syracuse basketball, GO ORANGE!

I decided last minute on Sunday to buy a ticket to the Sevilla vs. Betis game to see what all the fuss is about. ¿por qué no? Before heading to the game I was warned to be extra cautious because Betis is Sevilla’s greatest rivalry and the fans tend to get a bit rowdy.
Policemen watching over the tailgate, "botellón"
Much like a football game in the United States, fans gathered outside the stadium early in the morning to tailgate or "botellón" as it is called here. By the time I arrived two hours before the game, drunken fans were shooting off fireworks, dancing around, cheering, and proudly singing fight songs at the top of their lungs.

We joined right in on the festivities, and celebrated with the masses at the 5-1 win over Betis. 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment