Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Trick or Treat

October has come and quickly passed; officially marking two months I have been in Sevilla.

As October 31st started to draw near, my mind was buzzing with ideas to teach my students about Halloween. As it turns out the festivities of Halloween transcend borders, and there was very little I had to explain. The spirit of Halloween is alive and strong in Spain. My classes learned Halloween songs, vocabulary, read ghost stories and then went trick or treating throughout the school.
 
Although pumpkins are scarce, and there is no scent of fall in the air, Halloween is celebrated with gusto. Refreshingly, costumes are not overly sexualized; emphasis here is a little heavier on fright as I learned from seeing terrifying costumes on Halloween night.



Some of the 5th grade girls who put on a play in English
Pin the nose on the pumpkin, one of the stations at the Halloween festival.
While I had no tricks up my sleeve to offer, that has never stopped me from indulging in a Halloween treat. Recently all I have been craving is a pumpkin spice latte and a Reese’s peanut butter cup, but unfortunately neither of these are available in Spain.  Therefore I decided my treat would be to finally taste a chirimoya, an exotic, pale green fruit that I have been eying at the supermarket.

After waiting 3 days for it to ripen, it was perfectly soft and squishy enough to slice into. Unsure how to go about eating it, I decided to hold it by the rind, as if it was a watermelon and eat it face first, spitting out the coffee bean sized pits along the way.

The inside is white in color and has a creamy yet slightly slimy texture, leaving juice all over my face. The succulent flavors were reminiscent of a very sweet pineapple, with a tinge of banana and coconut flavoring, making it the perfect Halloween treat not to mention the added benefit of it being on the healthier side.


No comments:

Post a Comment